Monday, May 25, 2009

Doughnut Theater

If you know my brother Ross, then you'll understand. If you don't, I couldn't possibly do him justice here; the best I can say is that being around him is always an adventure. He has his own blog, which I encourage you to read, and he almost always selflessly donates his posts to the interesting exploits of his friends and family. I've been thinking for a while about the fact that this is a darn shame, because he is just too interesting.

Yesterday in Dunkin Donuts I witnessed a little live theater of Ross at his best. We were waiting for our order (nothing too complicated, we both believe that DD has let its menu become far too complicated and should stick to doughnuts, coffee and bagels) when the guy behind the counter started talking to Ross. He was pretty big, with a goatee and a gold chain necklace and I'd judge him to be in his mid thirties. His tone was familiar and friendly, Ross responded in kind--just a little hint of recognition in his voice.

I had no idea who this gentleman was, and I didn't particularly feel like engaging in the conversation. So I listened from the other end of the counter as they caught up with the typical 'how ya beens' of two casual acquaintances reuniting. They discussed the holiday and work and all that fun stuff. At only one point did it get specific:

DD Guy: "How's Tilley?"

Ross: "I'm sorry?"

DD Guy: "How's Tilley?"

Ross: "Ah...She's great!"

DD Guy: "Is she still working at Stop & Shop?"

Ross: "Yeah, yeah."

DD Guy: "She's been there a long time."

Ross: "Well, just having a job right now is a good thing."

DD Guy: "I hear ya."

By this point our food was ready and we were on our way. We both said a cordial goodbye and headed out to the car. The door to the Dunkin Donuts hadn't even swung closed behind us when my brother said:

"I have no idea who that guy was...I have NO idea who 'Tilley' is."

No comments:

Post a Comment